Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blog Feature + Interview

Kelly from Glamour This! posted a short interview about us this week.  Check out her beautiful blog or read on to learn a little bit more about myself and how EatCakeBeMerry started!

How did you come up with your company name?
When I was trying to name my business, the phrase “Eat, drink, and be merry” came to mind because it encompassed such a great action (eat) and emotion (merry).  So I wanted to adopt the vibe for my business because I think its pretty natural for everyone to be merry after eating some delicious and beautiful cake!  Hence EatCakeBeMerry.

What made you start this business – the major turning point?
After I finished culinary school in San Francisco, I came to New York and had the opportunity to work with some renown cake designers.  Then I got married and stepped away for a couple months, which is the period when I truly realized there is no other job I’d rather do.  So I started making cakes again for family/friends and from there it organically blossomed into my own venture.

What inspires you?
I’m a very visual person so most of what I see in my day to day life inspires me.  Stationary, department store displays, greeting cards, magazines, scrapbook/craft supplies, clothing, jewelry/accessories, buildings, product packaging,…you name it.  I’ve made cakes adapted from designs on a 3-ring binder and even bed sheets from Anthropology.

What is the best part about your job?
The best part of of making cakes all day is getting to eat the scraps :)   Really, it’s being able to translate a couple’s personality and interests into a meaningful and unique cake for their special day.

Whats the process?
The process starts off months before the event with a consultation, which is when I get to know the bride and groom.  There we collaborate to create a great design and chose flavor combinations.  Few days before the cake is due, we start making the decorations, baking/building the tiers, and the day before the event we assemble the final product, which is then ready to head over to the venue.

Tell us a little about yourself, to get to know you more
I’m a midwest girl at heart.  I spent half my childhood in Ilinois and the other half in Michigan.  I went to Univ. of Michigan and was studying to be either a dentist (always wanting to work with my hands) or a math teacher until I discovered cake design the summer of my sophomore year.  As soon as I graduated, I headed to SanFran to learn more about baking/pastry then went to New York City because that’s were my finacee at the time was.  After a year there, I got married and moved across the river to Jersey, which was a great decision because now I get to awe over the NYC skyline every day :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...